A SITE FOR FANS OF THE DEMINSKI AND DOYLE SHOW. Get all the latest news about D&D!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ERNIE HARWELL DIED TONIGHT

Legendary voice of Tigers baseball and one of the most beloved people in Michigan died tonight at the age of 92 exactly 8 months to the day he revealed to the world that this would happen. He passed away at his apartment in Novi with Lulu, his wife of 68 years, at his side.

I had the honor of talking with Ernie Harwell several times over two different stations in Detroit. It's my opinion the person taking his death the least hard is Ernie. Always a man of faith, when Ernie announced his illness 8 months ago I was struck with how absolutely sincere he was in his acceptance. In a world where we don't ever seem to know for sure if we're doing the right thing, where marriages come and go like a spring melt, and where marriages don't last 68 years and careers don't stay in one place for over 40 seasons, where we're too damn stressed out to know who we even are or what we really want, Ernie Harwell knew who he was. He knew he loved Lulu. He knew he was man of God. And Ernie Harwell knew he was dying and seemed so calm, so resolute in his faith, that he seemed the embodiment of peace.

Ernie Harwell was about the best storyteller you could imagine. He seemed to be an even better human being. Read Corinthians 13 and see how much of it can remind you of Ernie. I didn't really know him. It was just an honor to know of him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well said Jeff. I grew up listening to Ernie as the voice of Tiger baseball. In all the years I have listened to him, seen him on TV doing interviews, stories people have told of meeting Ernie, one could clearly see he is a true classy person. He will forever be the voice of Tiger baseball in my eyes. RIP Ernie

May 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM

 
Blogger FuzzyDave said...

Agreed Jeff. I'm a transplant from St Louis and a diehard Cardinals fan, but even I would get excited every time I'd hear Ernie talking. Truly a class act and a truly wonderful person. I'm glad I was able to hear just a few of his stories before he passed, and congratulations to him on his long, wonderful run.

May 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM

 
Blogger Anonymous D&D Fan said...

Listen to D&D's three 2009 WCSX interviews with Ernie Harwell here:

http://bit.ly/aJl4Kl

May 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

 
Anonymous Jolie said...

Beautifully said! I had the chance to meet him at Bronner's in Frankenmuth about two years ago. It was just before my husband was getting ready for his kidney transplant and Ernie was signing copies of his book. I told him I was picking it up for my sweetie and told him about the transplant. He acutally came out from behind that table, hugged me, and said he would say a prayer for us. Even gave a beautiful inscription in the book. Ernie was a true class act and I am humbled by his faith. He was a man among men and I only wish he could have influenced even more people with his grace and class.

May 5, 2010 at 6:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Jeff, that was powerful.

May 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Paul E. said...

Miss you guys, but most of all Ernie!! Growing up my summers were spent in the yard with 3 or 4 yards playing the ball game at the same time!!! You could hear Ernie from every direction~~~~~~ P.

June 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home