A SITE FOR FANS OF THE DEMINSKI AND DOYLE SHOW. Get all the latest news about D&D!

Friday, March 19, 2010

IS THE SHOW COMING BACK?

I get asked this almost every day. A D&D guy named Tim who does landscaping came up to me at Target yesterday asking me. I was with my impatient little 3 yr. old girl or I would have talked longer. Gave the short answer of I hope so and yes Detroit would be nice, but I honestly have no idea. Had I had more time, this is the longer answer I would have given.

Shows like ours were rare to begin with. A show that was all talk to NOT talk exclusively about politics or to be a sleaze show are rare. We were fortunate to have worked for two stations in 15 years that trusted us to draw in our unique way. We could do a serious even controversial, sometimes political, issue one segment, and move on and do something stupid, light and funny the next. And it worked. A little something called ppm happened in the world of radio ratings in the biggest of markets about a year and a few months ago. PPM stands for personal people meter.
First, the old system. The old system was a 'recall' system and involved people taking part in the ratings survey filling out a diary for one week. For one week of their lives, they would have a diary supplied by Arbitron (the ratings survey company) and they would in theory fill out as they listened what they were listening to. Among the complaints about this were that if people really liked a show, they might write down that they listened to the entire thing, all 4 hours say, when in reality they maybe only listened an hour and a half. I think the upside of the old diary system was that under a recall system (recall here meaning simply you remember and write down what you're listening to) the more loyal a listener, the more involved a listener, the more you have an impact on that listeners life, the more passionate the listener, the more they'll remember you and write you down. Yes, the exact times of listening may have been somewhat flawed. But the level of involvement for the listener is, in my opinion, certainly represented when they're being asked basically what radio shows mean the most to you. Another upside of the diary system is that the sample size was much, much larger. Still based on only a fraction of the actual population, but far greater than the fraction of a fraction that is the sampling size with ppm.

Now then, the news system of the personal people meter. In the biggest markets they no longer have people fill out a diary and they don't have nearly as many people taking part in the survey and those they DO have are kept for very long periods of time. So much so that Arbitron has no longer even been forthright with much of this information. The personal people meter is a little electronic device about the size of those old fashioned pagers. You can clip it on a belt if you're a guy. One reason formats that favor women tend to not do as well in ratings now is that females have fewer options of actually wearing the people meter on their clothing. They don't wear things that are very 'clippable' like belts, and even when they might ladies tend to care what they look like throughout the day and are less likely to want to have this ugly little box on them. Seriously, it comes down to things like this. So male formats they say do somewhat better because the compliance rate for men is higher. This box you wear or at least keep with you at all times, it picks up a secret signal now embedded within the broadcast signal of each station, each station having its own unique signal. So this box will record whatever signal is being put out by whatever audible radio it is near. There's good and bad to this. Good is in theory it should be much more accurate. What's bad is if you even just walk into a store and are in there for 5 minutes, and the radio they're playing behind the counter is loud enough your box will record whatever that store is listening to as your choice. What stations do so many retailers play and do so many offices allow? The ones that are largely background filled with 'safe' music that no one's really listening much to, but the box doesn't record interest levels or impact levels. It only records what's in front of it. As a result, many more stations in reaction to this new ppm system (which by the way has even been called into question for inaccuracies by congress) are offering a lot more music. Many other stations are scared off by talk.

This is the result. Dick Purtan said it best after announcing his retirement. You're left with either pure talk (and that's almost always the traditional serious minded news/talk programming where it's politics and issues) or all music. You're not getting as much variety. Where I'm going with this long explanation of how it's all happening is that there are fewer places for shows like ours to exist. It's been happening to true entertaining talk personalities all over the country. What's left is sports talk, which we're not, traditional news/talk which is part of what we can do, and music shows that MAY allow some fun personality to get through. It's looking more like our choices both involve change. Either stick to our lighter more fun side but accept it in smaller doses mixed with music. Or tap more full time into our serious side and go the more traditional news/talk route.

Now that's a LOT of explanation, but I kinda feel I owe it to people who've been following us for ten years here in Detroit, and other folks back in New Jersey for 15. None of this should be taken as griping or grousing. We were a top 5 show adults 25-54 several times in 2009 and once even number 2. I believe both ratings systems have flaws, and I believe both have good points too.

Now had I tried to say all this to poor Tim the landscaper at Target A) security would tell me to shut up and get out and B) poor Tim's eyes would've probably glazed over.
So back to the short answer, not sure yet what will happen with us, but thank you everyone for asking.

19 Comments:

Blogger Simply Agrestic said...

So is satellite radio an option?

March 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SIRIUS XM RADIO. THEY HAVE OFFICES IN NOVI. YOU CAN DO THE SAME SHOW BUT WITH NATIONAL FLAVOR.

March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...talk about long winded! KIDDING!

As I said before...miss you guys! It makes me crazy that you're not on the air.

Hope all is well...

Renee

March 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the primer on the state of today's radio, Jeff. The corporate formula mentality really gets in the way of creativity and individual personality. Really hope you guys can find something to keep the core of your product. Thanks for a great run in Detroit, wherever you end up.

March 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date. A lot of us read this so we really appreciate the updates. I really hope something works out. I've been listening since your first day on the air in Detroit.

March 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After listening to the Philadelphia show, I'd be inclined to say that you guys are more than capable of handling a political talk show.

I thought it was nice to hear the opinions of someone who isn't so opposed to one side or the other, but instead represents a true middle of the road point of view.

March 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM

 
Anonymous Mike W said...

I still think you guys should go the podcast route. broadcast live online, for free, with commercials. offer free 15 minute clips for download and sell the full length shows for a buck. then allow people to pay a monthly membership ($10) to get full access to everything. It may not pay much, but its better than nothing, and there is no reason you couldn't continue to search for a new gig in the meantime. In fact, I think it would help because you would have an established audience to bring along. If you guys went to satellite radio I would go there too. Anyway, I'm an audio engineer and I would love to help you guys make it happen.

March 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Let me just say how much I miss you guys on Detroit radio. I listened to you every afternoon on my drive home when you were on 97.1 and as soon as I found out you were on in the mornings on 94.7 I listened every morning. I can't stand the sports talk or the news/politics talk and, with nothing in between available I'm more likely to toss in a CD or let my daughter watch a DVD than listed to radio. I hope D&D will find a new home in Detroit and will keep up with progress here.

BTW...ever thought about a Facebook page???

March 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM

 
Anonymous KH said...

I heard Howard Stern talk about this same subject on his show a few weeks ago. It sounds like it was one of the many reasons he went to satellite radio (overall - less restrictions). Are you guys considering satellite radio? It is all I can stand to listen to anymore since broadcast radio is crap. Good luck to you guys!

March 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A podcast would be great...but is there any money in it? Adam Carolla(?) does a great podcast that has a large audience, but I don't think he is making much money from it. Actually, I think that he gets most of his revenue from the occasional "Live" shows at comedy clubs around the LA area.

March 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

 
Anonymous one eyed Don said...

Detroit Radio sucks.

March 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am frugal and don't I don't have satellite radio, but I would sign up instantly if you guys decide to go that route.

I dindn't get a chance to listen to you when you went on air in Philly. Do you have podcast(s) of the show?

March 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM

 
Anonymous Barney said...

Hey Jeff.....48 year YOUNG, gay listener here with what I'd like think is an I.Q. that's higher than the average bear's (to quote a much-loved cartoon Bear :-)

I consider myself reeeeally observant, specific & picky person, with a very good ear for intelligent, cool & well-spoken, FUN people, and you & Bill absolutely have fit that description ever since I first started listening to you years ago. What I loved about your shows is that you guys are just a few years younger than me, and were always smart enough to show it during your serious segments, but goofy & funny enough to truly show it when THOSE segments were aired. COMPLETELY UNLIKE the vast majority of TRULY brain-damaged, DROOLING & INFANTILE radio today that's aimed at the 17-18 yr. old demographic (in my opinion :-) but a.k.a. the 20-35 yr. old demo). Thanks much for your totally clear description of the utterly f*cked up "ppm" system, and just HOW much true individuality, intelligence and creativity has been crushed by the mega-corporations that run radio today. I feel pretty damn sure that that's a big part of the reason Dick Purtan's retiring...because the bean counters have taken over. Makes me SICK....we've got both Sirius & XM radio, but I'll always cherish and support local terrestrial radio as often as I can. I SERIOUSLY hope you guys land a new gig here in Detoilet, ooops, I mean Detroit! Please keep up the great work on your blog, as I'm a regular reader, but first time contributor here. Stay in touch!

March 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On these pager size things what about streaming? Where I sit in my office I can only listen via streaming. Would it pick up on that?

Miss the hell out of the show. I didn't see till too late about the Philly gig. I would of steamlne. Hope all works out for you and Bill. No matter where it is.

March 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, Thanks for doing the updates. I really enjoyed the D&D show. I was also a fan of the Dick Purtan show and sometimes Howard Stern. I enjoy a show with a lot of laughter and intelligence. All music or all news is too boring. Sounds like constant channel surfing or audio books in my commuting future. Please come back soon! We need you! p.s. Is there anything we can do to protest this PPM system?

March 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to explain to us about the process. I wanted to tell you that I felt a great loss when you went off the air the first time and even feel a greater loss when you went off the air this time. I truely felt like I lost a couple of good freinds. The best to the two of you and to your families.

April 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I thought the format worked a LOT better as afternoon drive than it did in the AM, but maybe that's just me.
Let me pile on to the 'wish you well' and 'miss you' set. Be nice if someone around here had the brass to put 'infotainment' back in that slot.

May 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a married female, not your "typical" audience member but I loved your show and listened every evening on the way home from work. I don't have anything as good anymore to listen to?Any update on if you're coming back?

May 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

been there since day 1. i drive for a living, and you guys were my pals. any new moves (as of 12/20/10)?

December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home