A SITE FOR FANS OF THE DEMINSKI AND DOYLE SHOW. Get all the latest news about D&D!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

TOOTHFAIRY PRESSURE

It happened this morning at 11:25. Jack and I were driving back from getting my haircut. It had been loose for weeks. We even brought it up for a little bit of one of the Minneapolis shows because I heard so many varied opinions from parents on what the going toothfairy rate is for the first tooth. Anyway, we're driving down Woodward when he says, "Daddy it's coming out! What do I do?" I pulled over into a parking lot and before I could park I hear "I got it! I got it!" I get out of my car and open his door and there in his little fingers is the even littler tooth, a very tiny hole in the bottom roots, a very small spot of red within the hole. So cool. I was more excited than he was. I don't have a job, the house is in the middle of short sale, everything's screwed up right now, and I stood there talking to him about it feeling like the luckiest guy in the world. These were the moments I didn't want to miss.

Now of course comes the moment I'm dreading. I have a 5 dollar bill (screeching tires sound effect) okay, before I go on let's get this out of the way. Stop yelling at me. Yes, I picked 5 dollars as the amount for the first tooth. Some are yelling at me that's way too much. A few saying they'd have done 10. Mostly though I've been chastised by my friends saying I should've done 3. Look, here's the thing. This last year's been hell. I'm not going to go into the nuances of the divorce and all that happened, but the kids have been through a rough time. I've always been there for them, every night, but still so many changes have happened and especially the last few weeks the three of us are adjusting to a new life. He's still only 5 and I want him to believe in magic. He needs to believe in magic right now. So it's a 5 dollar bill, wrapped in a tight roll, with a little curly red ribbon tying it shut. Now back to the moment I'm dreading. It's 10:30. He's asleep. The tooth is dead center under his pillow. Suddenly I'm a fairy. Never been a fairy before. (Watch it!) So I have to creep in there, and make the switch. He's not a heavy sleeper. I have to probably move a hand, possibly move the head, get that tooth out, get that bill in, without waking him up. If he wakes up I have to make sure he doesn't see what's in my hand and be ready with the cover story that I'm just checking on him. My son's like me though, somewhat of a cynic. If he catches on to this, my fatherly paranoia sees the great domino collapse of the Easter Bunny gone, Santa Claus shattered, boom boom boom. Stupid? Silly? You bet. Will I wake him up? Almost surely not. It's just that we've got so little right now, I just need him to believe in this. And I guess truth be told, right now I need to believe in magic too.

So that's it. I'm goin' in! LOL

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did you succeed? I miss those days. Mine are 19 & 20. Those days when they believed in all that were great.

February 25, 2011 at 5:30 AM

 
Blogger gottalovemichigan said...

You used good reasoning! I hope this is only part one of the story and we will get to hear what happened next...........

BTW, enjoyed hearing you and Bill on the radio.

February 25, 2011 at 6:25 AM

 
Blogger Soapchick said...

Aw how sweet! Can't wait to hear how the Tooth Fairy did!

February 25, 2011 at 6:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the same survey and found $5 to be the going rate. My kids get that for each tooth. There are only 20 baby teeth so it's $100 before it's done and it's over a several year period of time.

My kids have small pillows with pockets (made by their kindergarten teachers). The pillows go in the kitchen by the sink. The tooth fairy finds the teeth much easier that way.

If you haven't seen it, watch The Tooth Fairy movie.

Glad you can still make things like this happen for your kids. It really is the small things in life that make everything worthwhile.

I miss the D&D show just as much now as I did when you went off the air. I'm a never-time, long-time listener and what I really miss is afternoons. I don't understand why the industry/Detroit market cannot support talk radio. There must be more people than just me that feel this way!

Best of luck finding a new gig!

February 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM

 
Anonymous Steve in Waterford said...

Please let us know how it turned out, Jeff. Your kids are lucky to have a father like you.

February 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

If nothing else, you can always tell him that you get more for the first tooth, like the tooth fairy is showing his/her appreciation for the new business. LOL

We will of course want to hear how it went down, so you'll need to post about it soon. It was much easier when you were on the air, but this will do. :)

February 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Jeff. You sound like a great dad. $5 is fine. He's a five year old. Their concept of money isn't like ours anyway. $5 to him is like $100 for us.
-Mark in Hazel Park-

February 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

fantastic story :)

March 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

 
Anonymous Cheryl said...

Jeff, you are putting tears in my eyes right now. I am lucky to watch you with your kids and see the love they have for you. That's the magic an it will never disappear.

March 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home